Monday 4 December 2017

Student Q & A- Jade Clayson

During her time studying her foundation degree in Conservation & Ecology at Cornwall College Newquay, student Jade Clayson has co-founded the charity Thailand Elephants. We sat down with Jade to find out more:


Your passion for animals seems to be limitless, where did it all begin?
Jade: Well I guess you could say it all spawned from the close relationship I had with my best-friend, our family dog, Jack. In every single photograph of me as a child he’s right by my side and was with me from the day I was born up to around the age I was 16. I do feel like growing up and having a dog as part of a family instills a surge of compassion and unconditional love from such an early age. From a kid I’ve always just been naturally drawn to animals. I use to watch Lion King every night religiously as a child on the VCR (without fail).


Can you describe the circumstances that led to you co-forming your charity Thailand Elephants?
After a 6-month internship on an elephant reintroduction programme in the North of Thailand I left feeling like I needed to do more for the elephants suffering every day in the name of tourism. Especially when this entertainment is predominantly fuelled by travelers from my own home. Gemma (current base manager of this project at the time) and I realised there was a large gap that needed to be filled. The public were being educated about the awful treatment of elephants in the entertainment and tourism industry, the shocking truths behind their poor husbandry and welfare: all to allow several unaware tourists to sit on saddles on their backs…. but there was nowhere/very little for people to turn to make the right decisions, to be ethical travellers, to support the better places that focus solely on the happiness of their elephants.

That’s where Thailand Elephants came in, we started off as an educational website and now have developed into a very successful charity with several trustees and advocates. All our work is predominantly voluntary. We are a charity dedicated to raising awareness and educating the public about the exploitation of elephants in tourism. We also research and promote ethical elephant venues in Thailand through our own extensive research and expertise – we have a recommended list of venues on our website. Our charity’s website: www.thailandelephants.org. If as a reader you or anyone you know is visiting Thailand and plan to see elephants, please ask them to contact us via our website or on any other social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram).


What’s the best bit about your course at Cornwall College?
Definitely the people, I’ve met so many inspirational wonderful people through my degree, that either work for an organisation or are just truly dedicated and passionate about what they love and it makes me aspire to be even a fraction of that. I would like to thank Nicola Morris who runs the Student Invasive Non-Native Group (SINNG), Nigel Dawes and Tristan Holmes who run the Treloggan Community Action Group as well as everyone involved with the Cornwall Reptile and Amphibian Group (CRAG). The volunteer networks I’ve got involved with since starting my degree are a wonderful community I am so grateful to be a part of such positive environmental achievements!


What do you enjoy about studying at the Newquay campus? What’s been your favourite part so far?
The small size of the campus allows for a real community feeling, the lecturers are extremely supportive and from a mature student’s point of view I’m very grateful, they go out of their way to help. I love that aspect. My favourite part about my degree is probably the networking and having the opportunity to go on so many visits/trips to local organisations/venues, meeting influential people in the field and getting involved in real conservation.



What do you hope to go on to do after you have finished studying?
Honestly, I have no idea but I love the fact I don’t follow a certain path. Doors seem to open when you least expect it. All I know is that I want to travel the world, part of my life will always be in Thailand and I want to settle in Africa eventually, (this place stole my heart the summer of 2016).


Anything else that you would like to add?
Thailand Elephants will be hosting the Global March for Elephants and Rhino’s in Bristol in October 2018, so please all come and march with us! If anyone is keen to help us spread the word of get more involved you can sign up to be an advocate, please don’t hesitate to contact us!


 www.thailandelephants.org

No comments:

Post a Comment