Tuesday 4 April 2017

Herpetofauna Workers Meeting 2017

SINNG Coordinator Nicola Morris alongside student volunteers had a road trip up to the Herpetofauna Workers’ Meeting in Central Nottingham.     

Organised by Amphibian and Reptile Conservation (ARC) and Amphibian and Reptile Groups of UK (ARG UK), this two-day event is the highlight of the herpetological calendar. On offer was a full and varied programme of presentations and workshops with plenty of opportunities to network with a diverse audience representing conservation organisations, ecological consultants, statutory bodies, land managers, academic institutions and students, and enthusiastic volunteers.
Hear about the experience from two of our students who attended:

Frankie Simpson BSc (Hons) Applied Zoology and Conservation

When I first got the email about the conference, I wasn’t so sure that it would be right for me, because my interest lies primarily within Marine. Although I am doing a herpetological genetics project and I saw that there were some planned talks on genetics and eDNA. So I decided it could be useful for me to go, and I'm so glad I did!

Just before I went, the stress of my third year uni work load had caused me to lose motivation for the course and the research I was doing. Going to the conference, speaking to professionals that are currently working within conservation and hearing about their research and what it achieves gave me back my motivation to do well within my course. It's easy to lose sight of why we do things, especially when they can be stressful, but it's going to conferences like the herp workers meeting and hearing the interesting presentations that help to put it back into perspective and re-inspire you to get back at it.

Since getting home from the conference, I've never gotten through my work faster or felt better about the quality of it. When you have those moments when you lose the motivation or have a block, it helps to take a step back and reassess where you are and what needs to be done to get where you're going. The herp workers meeting did just that for me. It also gave me an insight as to what it's like giving those types of talks. As part of our honours projects we are expected to give a presentation on our research, so I used the conference as an opportunity to gain some tips on presentations, watching people give their talks so I would know what to do when it comes time for me to do mine. Because of how well the whole weekend went I'm already planning on going to the scientific conference in December.” 

Jade Clayson FdSc Conservation & Ecology


My biggest highlight of the whole experience I had attending this amazing informative conference was the amount of knowledge I left with. I would not say my sole interests are in herpetology, but it’s a big passion of mine. I like to branch out and get involved with all different aspects and species within conservation. I’m not really sure on my path yet.

The part that was most interesting to me was the Norfolk Pond Project, who aim to reserve the decline of Norfolk’s ponds so that agricultural landscapes contain a mosaic of clean water ponds with fewer ponds overgrown by trees and bushes. 

I found their project extremely interesting; Carl Sayer is a very passionate and dedicated gentleman. Without my words coming across as disrespectful in any way, he, unlike most of the folk in the whole room (particularly professional scientists and ecologists) did not have a large scientific background. But his love of his work shone through his presentation and I loved that. I guess the reason this was such a massive interest of mine is because his project’s work made my recent volunteer work with SINNG feel more rewarding than ever (with the most recent work on restoring Treloggan’s pond). The photographs of Carl and teams work was phenomenal, ponds that didn’t really exist are now teaming with life. The process of change over time was incredible.
Ponds are in massive decline throughout the UK, largely due to land claim, pollution and INNS. Restoring overgrown and ghost ponds encourages life such as amphibians, plants, mammals, invert’s, birds and fish.

I learnt so much on this two-day conference and met many influential important people in the field of ecology, herpetology and sciences. I left with a bigger passion for herps most definitely. The most recent scientific methodology of eDNA sampling for our protected GCN’s was news to my ears. What an amazing new piece of technology. The different areas and organisations of work going on through the UK was very interesting and it was amazing to see so many passionate people.

I was extremely impressed with the whole experience and plan to attend this event next year and I would seriously encourage any other student to go (even if not interested in herps specifically because you’d be surprised and how damn awesome they are). Snakes scare the life out of me, but I left that conference with a new-found love (although I am sure they still terrify me).”








No comments:

Post a Comment